Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Spring, Summer, Roasted Ribs And New Wine

I haven't posted in a while, been busy with the kids, family life, and getting "Max's Sweet And Spicy Rub" up and running. In case you're wondering what the hell said rub is all about, let me offer a little shameless self-promotion:

While writing "Fresh Fish And Fried Pickles," I felt like I needed a good all-purpose spice rub thrown in the mix. So one day while I was comming up with just the right combination and balance of sweet and spicy, I looked down and noticed my beutiful baby boy, Max staring up at me and smiling ever so sweetly. And so at the same time that I found the perfect blend of sugars and spices to complete my rub recipe, what to name it instantly became a no-brainer.

No, I'm not going to give you the recipe. Visit the website, buy the book, and turn to page 64 for that! Or you can wait a few weeks, and I'll have the rub itself available for purchase.

Self promotion aside, here's where this all ties in. It's here. FINALLY, Spring with Summer just around the corner is HERE! With that in mind, I wanted to tell you about a great rib recipe I made last night, and the perfect wine to pair for the season.

So first, the ribs. I'll admit it. First of all, I can cook a lot of things, but I'm not the greatest when it comes to ribs. Pretty retarded huh? I know. Should be reletively simple, but for some reason, maybe it's a patients issue, my ribs, wheather done in the oven, or on the grill just come out a bit tough, and a lot less meaty than I would like.

I bought the ribs on sale (yeah, probably not the best way to start). They were a good four and a half pounds and yes, a little fatty with a lot of sinew that I had to remove. But I was determined to succeed this time, and because it was only 10:30 in the morning when I started to prep them, I was going to go the 'low and slow' route and I didn't care if I had to cook those puppies for 10 hours at 180 degrees.

After trimming up the ribs, and dividing them into 2 and 3 bone sections, I noticed on my kitchen shelf that I still had some Grand Marnier that I had used in a cooking class a couple of months ago. I also remembered the crock pot ribs my dad used to make using fresh oranges in the sauce. An idea flew into my head. Using the Grand Marnier and some neutral flavored rice wine vinegar, I had a really great flavoring for the rib roasting pan that they would in a sense "steam" in.

So in to the roasting pan we went, and in went the vinegar, a little water and a good bit of the orange flavored liqour. Now at this point, I'm thinking what the hell, I'll hit these guys with a little spice too. But being a little tired, and perhaps a little lazy at that moment, I used what ever was on my counter at the time and within reach: happened to be some generic cajun seasoning and a good bit of Max's Sweet And Spicy Rub. So I seasoned the ribs liberally on both sides, covered with foil, and into a 275 degree oven they went for four hours.

I'll tell you that I could have taken them out after three. The meat was already falling off the bone. But at this point I was quite pleased with myself, and figured if I screwed them up by cooking them more, they wouldn't suck any more than the last time I made ribs. So they got basted with some generic barbecue sauce (I said I was tired and a bit lazy that day, so give me a break!) and back in the oven uncovered at 325 degrees for the last hour. And after a full 5 hours of low and slow luxury, my ribs were not only fall of the bone, but they pretty much melted in your mouth!


Now just where does this all tie in with wine? Right here: Gruener Veltliner my friends! Hadn't tried it before, and really I prefer reds. But I swear this is muy new favorite wine!

For those of you not familiar with it (surprisingly a lot of people aren't), the Gruener Veltliner grape is grown primarily in Austria, and the resulting wine is one of the most food-friendly ones that you will find.

For those of you claiming to be wine snobs out there (and trust me, you are many), you would say that this wine has a bright crispness to it. Very light with a hint of mineral and a touch of citrus. Perhaps even a bit of green apple. The best way I can think of to describe the Gruener Veltliner would be to say it lies somewhere between a Pinot Grigio and a Sav. Blanc. However you want to describe it, it really is a food friendly wine. Traditionally one might pair with ribs a merlot, or pinot noir, but I tried the Gruener, and it was perfect.

If you are looking for a good Gruener, try Fred Loimer's "Lois." It's what we are pouring at South Beach Grill, and I'm thrilled at how many people we have turned on to it.

And remember: If you're planning on hosting a summer party this year, and want great food with no work on your part, I am now offering private chef/home catering services. You can check out a sample menu at www.fishnpickles.com

No comments: