Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Making The Most From A Little


Like many of us, my wife and I are trying to figure out ways to make ends meet. One of those ways is obviously watching what we spend on a day-to-day basis. Of course with me trying to get this book done, I've been spending some cash on ingredients that I need. This doesn't always sit well with the Kronenwetter family CFO, also known as my wife.

Mondays and Tuesdays are usually my days off, and this past Monday, I put together a great chicken wing dinner (something about the nice "spring-like" day we were finally having screamed to me: Grill, Grill, Grill). So on Tuesday, we didn't really have much. I thought it would be nice to see if I could come up with a hearty meal, that didn't cost me anything.

I hadn't made any bread in a while, so I put together a simple recipe for herbed French baguettes. Then I remembered that I always keep some canned diced tomatoes and olives in the pantry. So I roasted off some garlic bulbs, and fine diced the tomatoes and olives.



Roasted Garlic



Baking bread the old fashioned way is pretty cool because it is an exercise in patience. So I got some herbs and vegetables planted between the first and second rise.

Anyway, Once the bread was done, I sliced it, spread on the roasted garlic, and topped it all with the minced olives and tomatoes. Finished it all with a quick drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and had some really nice crostini. Next I cooked off some spaghetti I had lying around, and tossed it with the rest of the garlic, olives and tomatoes, and there we had it: our rustic Italian feast!!

It just goes to show that you don't always have to search out all kinds of pricey ingredients to have a great dinner. And at the same time, you don't have to eat Ramen noodles or Mac N Cheese when times are really tough! I sure wish I would have realized this in college!!























No comments: